Monday, November 20, 2017

Monday Musical Offering Not Instant Dislike Edition

I am always glad to discover music with which I was unfamiliar, and that gives me new pleasure.  Last week's new thing was not disappointing, inasmuch as I fully expected to hate it just as much as I did.  A few weeks ago, though, I heard something that I wouldn't have even suspected existed, and I liked it.

Every year, on or about Yom Kippur, every classical music radio station will play Bruch's Kol Nidrei. Our local station, KWAX, played Kol Nidrei by...

...Arnold Schoenberg.  No, really.  And it's from well after his embrace of the 12-tone system.  And I really liked it.  I liked a piece by 1930's Arnold Schoenberg.

Here's a linky-thing with lots more about it. Check it out, if you feel like you need a clean slate to face up to a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment