Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday Musical Offering

Finally, the finale:


Bach: Italian Concerto, 3rd movement. I'm not totally happy with my playing. This movement is fairly straightforward, with only a few really awkward bits. However, it's really fast. You can pretty much tell the point at which I stop imagining that I'm a violin soloist and come to grips with the reality of being an overmatched pianist. Oh well--I hope you don't come here looking for pianistic profundity. As noted in the video, there are other better players out there. I was surprised to find myself really liking the way Angela Hewitt played this movement on her Hyperion release. Normally she leaves me cold, but this was quite spirited. Also noted on the video--avoid Glenn Gould's version of this movement. It's just too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment