Monday, May 2, 2011

Pretty good skiing for May

Royal Gorge stayed open for one more weekend, so I felt obligated to go and make one last use of my season pass. Also, one last trip around some favorite trails and one last visit with the Wax Curmudgeon and Curmudgeonette before we decamp to Oregon.

There's still TONS of snow in the Sierras. There's one place where the ski trail goes under some telephone wires, and I could have easily snagged them with a ski pole. So, hopefully, I'll get some more skiing in this month, and maybe even in June. One of the highlights of this ski trip was trying out my new back-country skis. They're pure fun: waxless, metal edged, a nice amount of sidecut, and light. (A sharp contrast with my klister-y, rusty-edged, straight and HEAVY older back country skis). I'm unaccustomed to such skis, so I spent an hour on this hill here going up and down. Click on the picture to blow it up and you'll see my beautiful tracks. Telemarking is ridiculously easy on these skis, and I was able to make parallel turns for the first time in my life.

What a winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment